Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Prayer for Honesty and Humility

O Father, make me honest.
Teach me not to pretend.
Teach me to let my "yes" be yes, and my "no," no.
Teach me to let go of all this awful posturing; this ugly vanity; this horrible need to impress people; this drive to justify myself.
Are you not my Justifier?
Teach me to be open and transparent before my neighbor, as I am before you.

Father, make me humble.
Teach me to forget myself.
Teach me to love without care for whether or not I am loved in return.
Teach me to let go of all this awful, grasping greediness; all my designs and purposes for people; all my demands and daydreams; and simply love as you give it to me to love.
Will you not be sufficient for me?
Teach me to rest in your love. Amen.

1 comment:

Daniel Nelms said...

Dude... I've been struggling with this same thing. I've been trying to cling to Galatians 2:6, but it is not easy sometimes.
Good prayer. Really good.